Thursday, August 26, 2010

A taste of Home



After a long awaited trip with Oky to the Automercado, I was able to find a sweet little taste of home. It's a little ridiculous how this little drink can make me so thankful. It was exactly what I needed though.

I have asked one of the teachers at the school to give me Spanish lessons. I feel like there are so many things that I've learned in school about Spanish that I have to unlearn because it's not really how you use Spanish in conversations. There are also a lot of things that are specific to Costa Rica that I have to learn. For instance...

double l's are pronounced as "j"s here - NOT "y"s.
"V"s are pronounced as "B"s
They do NOT roll their "R"s
D's are pronounced differently - instead of putting your tongue at the roof of your mouth, you put it at close to your teeth.

They don't use "tu" here. They use usted or "vos". (I seriously just found this out today - I don't know how I missed it?!) Even though they use "vos" when speaking to another person, they don't conjugate verbs into the "vosotros" form.

At my school - even though the content is in English a lot of the teachers use Spanish in conversation. There are a lot of parents that can't speak English or prefer to use Spanish. So, I really am dying to know the language.


Here's the word of the day: murcielago
It means "bat". I keep trying to pronounce it over and over because I'm trying to work on pronouncing my vowels correctly. I was whispering it the whole way home today. Weird, I know.

Oh yeah, a kid barfed on the bus yesterday. It was all over his shirt. Poor thing. Today they made him keep a plastic bag at hand. That stinks. The barf on the bus goes round and round, round and round, round and round.

I also have a really good story to tell about something that happened today - but i think i need to tell you individually. Remind me to tell you when I talk to you.

Love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha excellent song my dear. glad you got a dr!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, I am so sorry to just now be responding but am so computer illiterate have just now gotten Karis to show me how. Anyway have really been praying for you and love everything that you are doing. So glad that you got your Dr Pepper. I love you so much and missed our time together this summer. Am praying that you will be able to come "after" your time there so you can tell me all about it. Molly and Justin ( Lillian Jean's daughter from Headland) is moving to Dallas for three months and staying here til they get their apt. It's been fun connecting with them. Anyway know we love you and are praying for you. Loved Scrappy. Now that I know how, I will keep in touch. Love, Aunt Betsy

    ReplyDelete